This post contains affiliate links.
When you buy something using these retail links, we may get a commission.
They don’t have to be last minute 🙂
But everything that is hand-made shows we really care, right?
Making chocolates is not that difficult and it shows love like nothing else. Handmade chocolates may look awkward but they mean you put some time and effort. Pair it with some nice wine and the most romantic Valentine present is ready!
We offer you two options: to make chocolate on your own or use any chocolate bar you have (that is easier).
In case you decide to make a chocolate from scratch, here is a basic recipe (we included US and metric system).
Milk powder – 190 gram or 1 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder (without added sugar) – 128 gram or 1 cup
Sugar – 150 gram or 3/4 cup
Water – 60 ml or 1/4 cup
Butter – 75 gram or 1/3 cup
Chopped nuts (peanuts, hazelnuts, cashew, almonds)
Dried fruit (raisins, cranberries etc.)
Finely chopped ginger/lemon or orange zest – our personal favorite
You can blend in nuts and dried fruits right in your chocolate paste.
- Mix the milk powder and the cocoa powder together. Leave them aside for later.
- Mix the powdered sugar and water in a pan with a thick bottom. Keep it on low heat and let it simmer.
- When it starts boiling and sugar dissolves, put in the butter. Let it melt.
- Add the milk and cocoa powder mixture to the butter mixture. Mix carefully.
- Take the mixture off the heat. Add additinal inredients now, if you wish.
- Pour the mixture into a container or a mold.
- Let it cool down.
TIP: Fill it with some “treat”
You can use some sprinkles to decorate your chocolates. You can also put a whole nut into your chocolate mold or a piece of marzipan or some other “treat”. You can be as creative as you wish!
TIP 2: Make it even easier!
The super easy version of homemade chocolates!! Take an actual chocolate bar and melt it! Then pour the mixture into the mold! Use some chopped nut or dried fruit etc. to make your chocolates a bit more special!
TIP 3: Wrap it up!
Now, the most responsible part: wrapping! You chocolates absolutely must go into a beautiful box! Think about it!
Prepare a nice heart-shaped box or take any box and wrap it into an appropriate paper 🙂 Make it extra sweet from the outside.